Here’s what we cover:

Protecting Trust Assets

Once the trust agreement has been signed and assets have been transferred to the trust, the trust agreement is fully operative as to those assets. At this point, there are certain basic steps that the trustee should take.

If an asset is covered by insurance, it should be so protected after it has been transferred to the trust. If insurance is already covering a trust asset, the insurance policy should be revised to add the trustee as named insured on the policy. This can usually be done at no additional cost. When personal property, an automobile, or a residence is transferred to the trust, the trustee should make sure that the particular asset is covered by insurance and that the trustee is a named insured.

If the trust holds certificates of title, stock certificates, or negotiable instruments, those valuable documents should be placed in a safe deposit box. If the safe deposit box holds only trust assets and is in the name of the trustee, there will be no problem in identifying bearer bonds or unregistered securities as trust assets. In addition, by holding the box in the name of the trustee (as opposed to in the settlor’s name alone), there will be someone with immediate authority to enter the safe deposit box upon the settlor’s death or disability.

Identifying the Trust for Tax Purposes

The trust is a separate entity and an identifying number is required for it for income tax purposes. During the settlor’s life, the tax identification number for any revocable trusts will be the settlor’s social security number.  The settlor’s social security number should, accordingly, be given to banks, corporations, and others who pay interest or dividend income to the trust during the settlor’s lifetime. A separate identifying number will be required for any irrevocable trusts, which may be obtained from the Internal Revenue Service (see below website).

During the settlor’s lifetime, the trustee of a trust is not required to file a fiduciary income tax return. If the trust is a fully revocable trust, all income will be reported directly on the settlor’s individual tax return (IRS Form 1040). Upon the settlor’s death, a separate tax identification number will be necessary for any trust that is thereby created and funded. The trustee may apply for a tax identification number online at

The above article is an excerpt from Estate Planning in Arizona: What You Need to Know, 2nd Edition (Wheatmark, 2019), by Donald A. Loose, republished with the author’s permission.

Disclaimer: Laws change constantly. Specific legal advice should be obtained regarding any legal matter. The information contained on this website does not constitute legal advice and no attorney-client relationship is created. 

Have any questions about this topic?
We’re ready to listen.

Related Content

7 Reasons to Update Your Estate Plan

Your estate plan is not a “set-and-forget” kind of strategy. There are certain life events and circumstances that warrant your updating this important set of documents.

Why You Need an Estate Plan

Planning for our own death is not something that tends to thrill most of us. It is difficult to face our own mortality.

What is Estate Planning?

What comes to mind when you see the words estate planning?

Informal Probate – Administration of Estates Outside of Court

In many cases, probate is a quick and efficient way to transfer the assets of a person who has died (the “decedent”) to his heirs. About 10,000 probate cases are filed each year in the state of Arizona.

Special Purpose Trusts – 2 Most Common Forms

A trust is a legal entity that is created and holds title to assets during the life of the person who places assets inside the trust

Explore All Articles by Practice Area:

Don Loose Author
Lawyer | Loose Law Group | View My Profile

Donald A. Loose is an Arizona attorney, and the author of Arizona Laws 101: A Handbook for Non-Lawyers, and Estate Planning in Arizona: What You Need to Know.  Mr. Loose is a regular guest on radio shows featuring local newsmaker interviews. He may be contacted at